Tuesday 27 January 2009

Oh to be working for Heals in the fifties..



Occasionally my thoughts turn to 'fantasy house', it's a bit like lottery daydreaming and involves fantasising about how I would decorate and make objects for the dream house that I don't own. Sometimes it's a rural pile in North Yorkshire, sometimes a 1950s built apartment in the city (maybe Paris?). 
I think there is a part of me that's a frustrated textiles designer as often in my daydreams I'm screenprinting onto huge swathes of fabric to hang from my (obviously massive) fantasy windows. January's etchings seem to echo some of my frustrations and remind me very much of some of my favourite interior patterns. I love the work of Lucienne Day, particularly her 1950s designs for interior retailer Heals. Man I'd love her job..

No comments: